Thursday, August 27, 2009

The yellow rose of Texas





So right after Ian and I got home from Kaui, we flew back to Bako to visit my very ill grandmother. Although she needed help from time to time getting around, she was still pretty independent and feeling ok. While we were on her trip she started to feel so great. Ian and I went home to visit her and had some much needed time alone with her. A couple of days later, she had passed and my world was turned upside down. The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that it was really sudden and not something my family had expected. I still have her in my cell phone and often catch myself trying to call her as I did every other day. The funeral was beautiful, I really am lucky to have my husband’s family who all came to support me at such a rough time. The church was packed with people and yellow roses, her favorite. Each family member wanted to speak but came to the conclusion that electing a single family member would be the best since there was so many of us. My sister delivered an awesome speech that encompassed my childhood to a tee. She then asked at the end of her speech for each grandchild to stand, I never heard so many gasp as the audience glanced at how diverse and how many of us there were. We counted 21 grandchildren and 22 great grandchildren with two to be born in late October. Even though I know my Grandma "Mawtha" is with me, I do miss her often. I try to do one thing that she would have done everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment